Thursday, June 28, 2012

Anniversary.....4 years, 3rd time forgotten

June 21st is when Mike and I got married. Strangely enough, we have only ever remembered on our own on our first anniversary. This year was number 4. Some days it feels like we just got married, but for the most part it feels like it has been much more than 4 years.
Our first anniversary, I do remember that we remembered (heck, it was the first one, we better have remembered!) I also remember that we didn't celebrate that day. Mike had to work until 9 or 10 pm I believe, and I think we waited until his next day off to go to dinner.
Our second anniversary, we had just had Saoirse. She would have been just 3 weeks old. I remember taking her for a walk in the stroller. We live at the end of a road that leads to a park and estate where many events are held. This day, there was an event, and there was a sign on the road. We looked at it, looked at the date on it, turned to each other and said "happy anniversary." It didn't matter that we forgot, we had our new baby to keep us busy.
Last year was a bit different. June 21st was a Tuesday, and that Friday, June 24th, was the only day that Saoirse and I both had chemotherapy on the same day. Tuesday, she would have already started, so we probably didn't even know what the date was. I think other people reminded us. I can't remember for sure. I know we never much celebrated, although I do believe we went to dinner, at some point.
This year, no surprise, we both forgot. We actually had a meeting that evening. I remember waking up, checking email, and going through my Facebook goings on (like I do every morning). And our friend Katie had put it right there to remind me. Lucky for me I was up first so I got to say it first. We knew it wouldn't be a particularly celebratory day, but at least we "remembered." We are going out on a mini get away this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. It was a gift from a very generous person, and I'm glad we will be able to get away fro a little bit.
Hopefully next year, we won't forget. Maybe I'll make my calendar remind me the day before.


1 comment:

  1. We are very similar....our 3rd Anniversary we had Alexander, or 4th, we watched his Stem Cells be harvested, and our 5th, we were without him. thankfully, this year we have a beautiful addition to our family!
    I hope that your anniversary next year will be filled with Joy!

    ReplyDelete