Friday, May 13, 2011

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig!

We are very glad to be home. Saoirse's last day in the hospital was Thursday. She had fun playing with a new friend, a little boy about 5 or 6 years old. He took quite a liking to her, and was calling her his "girlfriend" for a few days. His family was nice to talk to, and we will be staying in touch with them. Dad and Mike went to a fathers/male caregivers group at the hospital Wednesday night, and were really glad they did. I think it's good for them to talk to other dads, especially some that have been doing it for longer to get some perspective and some hope for the future. They hold the meetings twice a month, and I really hope they continue to go for a while. 

Discharge seemed a bit overwhelming, and I was very nervous bringing her home and knowing that I wouldn't have a nurse call button. It's just a bit nerve wracking. But we did fine. The transition was a bit rough for her, and she had some trouble going to sleep, but we let her figure it out and get comfortable on her own. I really felt that it was important for her to get back into a more normal home routine right away. With so much going on, and being in and out of doctors offices so often, I want home to be the constant for her. I know that there will be differences, with medicines and pic line maintenance, but I want her to feel like home is a safe place to be, where she can be comfortable and her happy, playful self. 

Today I had my chemo in the morning. Saoirse woke up early (I think she was hungary as she wasn't into eating much last night), so we let her wake and doze for about an hour, then went and got her going for the day. She seemed quite happy eating her cheerios, and she drank most of a bottle of milk, which is good, as she hasn't had much interest in drinking lately. She spent the morning her with Mike and my Mum, and Dad took me up to Gloucester for my treatment. I have a sinus infection again, so I'll be on antibiotics for 10 days, and then I'm starting Singulair for allergy control. My counts are low again, although I've been lower, so I'll have to be careful not to pick up any infections. The hand sanitizer brigade is growing, and will be used quite frequently. This afternoon the visiting nurse came while Saoirse was taking a long nap (she needed it as her morning nap was quite short), so we were able to talk to her and ask our questions before she woke up, and then she examined her when she woke (we fed her right when she woke up to trick her into drinking a good amount of milk, and she was able to drink almost another whole bottle!) I practiced drawing up needles, and Mike gave her her shot. He did a great job, and I think she is less afraid when he gives it. I may get to the point where I can give it to her, but for now, it will be his job. Tonight she was a bit sore, so we gave her some pain medication, and she walked around the house a few times before going up to bed. We are just so glad to see her acting more like herself, and hearing her laugh is the best part of all. It's so good to have her home!

1 comment: