Thursday, September 1, 2011

A disposable life

We got a new delivery of medical supplies today. A big handle bag filled with plastic syringes, gloves, and other supplies, each individually wrapped in plastic and packaged in more plastic. Half of the liquid in every syringe is thrown out, and none of it is recyclable. We now go through paper towels and sanitizing wipes like crazy, we use disposable diapers and wipes when she's on chemo (so we don't have to try and wash chemicals out of cloth diapers), and we throw away gobs and gobs of plastic every day! For me, this is so hard to deal with. I've always been a recycle-everything, use-dishtowels, cloth-diaper using mom, so this is a huge stretch for me. I know its important, and that all of this waste helps to keep her safe and infection free, but it doesn't make it any easier to accept. We see tons of waste at the hospital too - for the same reasons, to keep everyone safe and infection free - but I am always thinking that there must be some way to cut down on waste and make things more efficient. But this is a problem that I can't fix. So I will not try. All I can do is accept it for now, and go back to my usual patterns when everything is over. 


September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month! Help spread the word about pediatric cancer and share our story with others that you know. 46 children are diagnosed with cancer every day, and 7 will loose their fight. Approximately 700 kids will be diagnosed with Neuroblastoma this year, and nearly 50% of them will not survive. Most children have advanced disease that has spread by the time they are diagnosed. Pediatricians need to be more aware of what to look for and what the EARLY symptoms are, so that disease can be caught while it is still treatable. Help spread the word, and help a family that has been touched by childhood cancer. A call or a hug can sometimes turn a day around. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi darling!
    Wanna know sth? the world needs people like you, people that REALLY care about it.

    I think i have already said that i think you're amazing....

    Anyway, i just wanted to say that everything will be okay and we here in Brazil are all praying foy you :]

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. MINHA QUERIDA, EU TENHO 53 ANOS, E TE DIGO, VC ESTA CERTA,TEMOS QUE ALERTAR AS PESSOAS PARA AS DOENÇAS QUE BATEM NA PORTA DE NOSSAS CASAS,PARA QUE NÃO SOFRAM TANTO,TEM UMA GAROTINHA DE 5 ANOS QUE VIAJA COMIGO NA AMBULÂNCIA E EU FICO MUITO TRISTE DE VE-LA ASSIM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quanto aos descartáveis eu tenho a mesma preocupação que você,quando jogo seringa e frascos, equipos fora, no lixo, penso que alguma criança que PEGA lixo pode levar este material contaminado para casa, mas infelizmente não podemos mudar o mundo.
    Temos que ter fé, que sairemos dessa situação assim que deus nos der permissão.
    Beijo no seu coração e de sua filha também.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EU SOU DO BRASIL, EU SOU UMA VOVÓ,QUE AMA CRIANÇA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog after reading an article from CNN. it's 4:45 am here in California, and Im up feeding/rocking my 4 month old. I am in tears but also hopeful reading your story. This post was the third or fourth I read and to think of how you are caring about the environment amidst all your troubles- well, I just had to write to let you know I was reading, thinking, praying and wanting to do something to help. Like send money to help pay for those expensive disposable diapers. I'm going to talk to my husband when he wakes up and see what we can do. I am going to follow your blog and continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kezia--
    I also just read the article on CNN, and I am so grateful that the Lord God brought you to my attention! I pray that you are able to look through the chaos of this situation and find hope in knowing that the God who made the heavens also made your baby girl. Look out the window--see any birds? The Bible says He knows when even one of them falls. How much more does He care for your little girl!! He has not forgotten Saoirse and will not abandon her. He loves you individually and as a family.

    I pray you find comfort in the fact that He is totally in control. It may seem that, as such, He should be able to just fix your little one, heal her outright. And He COULD! I will be praying He does, but if He chooses not to work that way, He has an even greater plan in mind! We see such finite amounts of detail in any situation--He sees the end of all things from their beginning! "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight!" Proverbs 3:5-6

    Praying for healing in the name of Jesus!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kezia,
    My heart goes out to you and your adorable little daughter, both of you are such strong individuals-really like mother like daughter.
    Believe in the strength of God and know that he is the ultimate healer.
    Praying for your little girl
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kezia,Mike and Saoirse.
    I read the article on CNN and followed your blog.You have a beautiful family, You are a fighter and I know in my heart you will succeed.I wish you the best and will pray for your success against Cancer.Wishing all of you the best of health and tons of love and happiness.God Bless.
    Praying for the 3 of you.
    Swapna and Venkat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Kezia, Mike and Saoirse,

    My name is Heather and I work for gDiapers. Your story was brought to our attention by a customer who thought we could help. We make a 100% plastic free, biodegradable, and flushable diaper pad (gRefill) that fits into our washable little gPants. We would love to help you out and send you some of our gPants and gRefills to use on Saoirse. Please contact me at your convenience, we'd love to chat with you further about how we could help support your family at this time. If you care to do some research, you can go to our website (www.gdiapers.com), and of course you can email me directly: heather@gdiapers.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will pray for you . god bless both of you always .. Cancer Disease

    ReplyDelete